Posts From June 2003
As part of our No Show Wheels and Deals special, Boarders in Montebello, CA wins a free demo by the Hollywood and Foundation teams. The demo is expected to go down on Saturday June 28th.
Who can I expect to see you ask: All riders from both Hollywood and Foundation teams - ugly mugs like Kris Markovich, Ethan Fowler, Don Nguyen, Corey Duffel, Dorian Tucker, Daniel Shimizu, Tony Silva, James Atkin, Justin Roy, and more....
Where exactly you ask: Boarders 2056 Montebello Towne Center - Montebello, CA 90640.
What if I have questions you ask: Call the shop 323-722-5172.
This is going to be huge! When are you ever going to see this many professional skateboards in one place again? Are you gonna be there?
Foundation's Justin Strubing is on a 2 month Europe trip to film for the upcoming Foundation video and skate with the Ezekiel team.
Gareth Stehr, Tony Silva and Mike Rusczyk are finally back from Okinawa, Japan. They were recently seen on the island ripping demos for our men in uniform, the Marines. After the demos we had to go and check out the local nightlife. The first stop was a Bar called Seventh Heaven where we watched a Japanese Metallica cover band rock out. They where really cool and let us play there instruments after there set in front of everyone at the bar. One day was really awesome when we all climbed down this insane cliff after all the locals had told us scary stories about how people died there, and at the bottom was this crazy cave where you could go swimming and check out all these fishes and stuff. Josh Beagle's high school buddies took us to a bunch of local spots and also taught us the logistics of how to do donuts in a car, almost nailing Josh in the process. But all in all it was a successful trip full of skating, eating, drink'in, shop'in, and hot Japanese girls.
Leo Romero has just finished up a Thrasher interview and an Automatic interview + Cover in no time at all. I guess when you could go out and shoot a twelve page interview with all hammers in a week this is no problem. All I can say is Keep an eye out for Leo and don't miss his part in the upcoming Foundation video because he is on fire!!!!!!
Gareth Stehr has been on his own path of destruction lately. Going bigger and faster than ever. He is currently waiting on his visa so he can start his journey of becoming a lazy American.
Look out for Corey Duffel's Heckler interview + the cover out now. Can't stop the all meat eating Duffman!!!!
Jon West is back! And Jon called action! He's been held up recently with his schooling. Jon learned all kinds of new skillz at film school and is ready to get some school back on in skateboarding. He is graduating very soon, congratulations Jon!
kirchart-chris and big scoobs were seen lately in SD, killing a bigass flat bar with Gareth Stehr and Josh Beagle. They were getting down like nobody's bizznass.
How did you come up with the particular graphic that won?
- I figured it should just be of Corey rocking out as one of the Ramones. I was gonna do the whole band but the one figure looked better on it's own.
What was your influence?
- 'Sheena is a Punk Rocker' + Caffeine
What are some other artists or board company art you like alot?
- Most of the guys in Juxtapoz magazine (Coop, Ryden, Robert Williams, Love + Rockets, Pete Bagge) + saturday morning cartoons like Dexter and Sponge Bob. I like Templetons stuff and the Gonz of course. Have you heard of Brian Ralph? He's the best. He had a canvas thing in Transworld once which pretty much set me on the road I'm on right now.
You're in a band right now. Whats it called?
-I play bass in a band called Bane Overlord which is totally the best fun. We've been going for about a year and we've got a track on a new compilation album called Hot Shit on Blast First.
What do you sound like?
- Kinda like Gang Of Four fronted by Mike Patton. Disco Metal!
Where can peeps listen to it? (MP3?)
What are some of your favorite bands?
-Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Ramones, Misfits, Rocket From The Crypt, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur, Iron Maiden, Black Flag. That kinda thing.
Back to the prizes. What kind of Foundation stuff did you win?
- I got a Daniel Shimizu set up + hoodies, shirts, jeans, belts, hats... a hell of a lot of stuff!
I remember I sent you 2 of your winning boards, what are your plans for
- At the moment, one is hanging on my wall and the other is still wrapped up. I don't think I could stand to skate it and scratch it up! I probably will skate it though but not yet.
How does it feel to know that 1000's of skateboarders across the globe are
riding the graphic you designed?
- It feels amazing! I have to stop myself from checking if kids at the skatepark are rocking my design.
You must be proud.
- Damn right.
Did you see the winning ads in Transworld? (A photo of you was in both).
- I got the one in Thrasher. It's stuck up on my wall next to the deck. Interior design the foundation way!
Did you show your mom? What did she say?
- She doesn't really get it. She thinks I should get a 'real' job.
She must be proud.
- I'm sure she is, secretly.
Are you kinda famous around town now? - Not even. I get drunk at parties and get all big headed like "I'm Superdead, check me out". But noone cares.
Do you carry around the board and the ad and go up to chicks and say, "hey
hot stuff! look at me, I'm a badass, wanna go to the soda fountain?"
- Shit yeah! We don't have soda fountains here in the UK though, so they look at me like I'm a bit weird.
So are you going to start freelancing graphics for Foundation?
- I frickin' hope so! That's the idea anyway! I think I could draw Gareth Stehr as Angus Young and Leo as Tommy Lee! What d'ya say, Tod?
Whats your favorite color?
Whats your favorite food?
How many toes do you have?
- 10, but only 9 sport toenails.
Any last words?
Thanks to FOSKCO for picking my design, and hello to all my friends and family. Check my site (www.superdead.com) and have a nice day.